Have you ever used software whose user interface had some or all of the following characteristics?
- No clear path for performing a task
- Non-intuitive controls
- Poorly worded, non-descriptive labels
- Unhelpful error messages
- No feedback when you take an action (Is it doing anything, or is it stuck?)
- Data entry fields that allow you to enter invalid data
- Date entry fields that require you to duplicate data entry or enter extraneous data for no good reason
- Poor or nonexistent help
If so, you’re not alone—in fact, if you haven’t encountered such software, you are in a tiny minority.